COMPANIES ACT 1963 – SECT 23 Change of name.
23.—(1) A company may, by special resolution and with the approval of the Minister signified in writing, change its name.
(2) If, through inadvertence or otherwise, a company on its first registration, or on its registration by a new name, is registered by a name which, in the opinion of the Minister, is too like the name by which a company in existence is already registered, the first-mentioned company may change its name with the sanction of the Minister and, if he so directs within 6 mouths of its being registered by that name, shall change it within a period of 6 weeks from the date of the direction or such longer period as the Minister may think fit to allow.
If a company makes default in complying with a direction under this subsection, it shall be liable to a fine not exceeding £100.
(3) Where a company changes its name under this section, the registrar shall enter the new name in the register in place of the former name, and shall issue a certificate of incorporation altered to meet the circumstances of the case.
(4) A change of name by a company under this section shall not affect any rights or obligations of the company, or render defective any legal proceedings by or against the company, and any legal proceedings which might have been continued or commenced against it by its former name may be continued or commenced against it by its new name.
(5) A company which was registered by a name specified by statute, may, notwithstanding anything contained in that statute, change its name in accordance with subsection (1), but if the Minister is of opinion that any other Minister is concerned in the administration of the statute which specified the name of the company he shall not approve of the change of name save after consultation with that other Minister.
(6) Where the winding up of a company commences within one year after the company has changed its name, the former name as well as the existing name of the company shall appear on all notices and advertisements in relation to the winding up.